Industry leaders discussed pressing sport tourism issues at the Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance’s 2019 [un] GOLF and Sport Tourism FORE-um. Here are just a few of the topics addressed:
Accessibility of aging infrastructure (sport venues and hotels) impacts ability to bid on or host sport events.
• Learn the accessibility requirements for different disabilities
• Create an inventory of existing accessible hotel rooms that can be shared with sport event rights holders
• Work with the municipality to develop a strategy to host para competitions
Not-for-profit sport events contribute to local economies, but are denied municipal funding and support.
• Measure economic impact using CSTA’s STEAM model
• Ensure that all stakeholders and politicians are informed about the economic impact of these events
• Collaborate or co-host sport events with arts and cultural events that currently receive municipal funding
Source: “Tackling Common Sport Tourism Challenges” roundtable discussion hosted by ADRENALIN magazine at the CSTA 2019 [un] GOLF and Sport Tourism FORE-um